- With a part time work in Germany, you have the opportunity to improve your budget. This activity is not only lucrative, it is also an important means to facilitate your integration in Germany. You can better learn German and you have the opportunity to discover Germany, to know its culture and to know better about the economic and daily life. You can also make contacts. Many factors must be considered to a foreign student to take advantage of this option.
HOW LONG IS IT ALLOWED TO WORK AS A FOREIGN STUDENT?
A foreign student is allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half-time per year. If you want to work more, you must obtain an authorization from “Agentur für Arbeit” (German employment agency) and “Ausländerbehörde” (foreigners’ office). If you do not respect them, you risk being expelled from Germany.
Very important: It is impossible for you to finance your life with only extra work.
HOW MUCH MONEY CAN YOU EARN?
How much you earn depends heavily on your knowledge of the industry and the regional labor market. But generally students can earn up to 8.354 € per year tax free. You also have the opportunity to look for a small job nearby to earn up to 450 € per month.
WHAT ARE THE TYPICAL JOBS FOR STUDENTS?
Each city offers different job opportunities for students. Generally there are jobs that are preferable to students:
- In the university directly: as a research assistant (Studentische Hilfskraft / HiWi), assistant / e-student in the library etc …
- Work during weekends: in shops as a salesperson, in a restaurant / cafe as waiter / waitress, rinse / rinse etc …, at fast food restaurants like McDonalds, Burger King etc …, in supermarkets, babysitting , Call-center etc …
- Seasonal work: in automotive factories (Volkswagen / BMW) we are called “Produktionshelfer”, in trade shows, festivals etc …
HOW TO FIND A JOB IN YOUR OWN CITY?
- Meanwhile, many universities have developed attractive websites where they inform students about job offers
- Die Agentur für Arbeit (German Labor Agency) in your city.
There are several sites that are specialized